History of St. Mary's Church, Send

Parts of the present building were constructed almost 800 years ago. Other parts have been added, modified or reconstructed over the centuries since then. This page gives a chronological picture of what was done, and when.

Some dates are certain; others are estimates based on the available evidence.

1086

Domesday survey mention of CHURCH in Send.

about 1220 onwards

CHANCEL of the present building constructed.

Four plain lancet CHANCEL WINDOWS.

The CORBEL (small stone block) on the north wall of the chancel may have supported an image of the patron saint of the church, St Mary.

about 1240

Small LOW CHANCEL WINDOW put in.

PRIEST'S DOOR inserted - his private entrance.

13th century

SOUTH-WEST NAVE WINDOW - a few fragments of glass remain.

PISCINA in the south-east corner, near the altar - a bowl with a drain used during communion.

1289

First entry in the modern INCUMBENTS LIST

probably about 1325

Very heavy PARISH CHEST, carved from solid oak. Originally held priest's vestments and books.

15th century

Lead-lined octagonal FONT, mounted on sandstone slabs.

CHANCEL SCREEN once included two parclose screens to form side chapels in the north-east and south-east corners of the nave.

The ROOD BEAM (above the screen) once supported images of Christ on the cross with St Mary and St John on either side.

about 1475

NAVE rebuilt.

TOWER constructed.

CHANCEL ROOF rebuilt.

about 1475

(continued)

Four NAVE WINDOWS - typical late perpendicular lancet with trefoiled tops.

WEST WINDOW - typical plain late perpendicular.

late 15th century

CHANCEL SCREEN installed.

SIDE PEWS put in Nave.

Oak SOUTH DOOR built (original lock case).

Small SOUTH-EAST and NORTH-EAST NAVE WINDOWS reconstructed, incorporating some 13th century stonework. Steeply angled sills let in maximum light. (The glass is 19th century.)

early 16th century

PORCH built, probably by Thomas Marteyn, vicar 1501-1533. Arcading and cusped oak barge boards ending in an ogee shape - typical of the period.

North chancel wall BRASSES to Lawrence Slyfield, his wife Alys and three sons, dated 1521, and to Thomas Marteyn (died 1533).

16th century

Parclose screens removed from the screen during the Reformation - thought to have been used later to make the door and partition of the VESTRY.

17th century

NAVE ROOF rebuilt using much of original wood.

probably 1660

15th century FONT re-cut. The date 1660 is roughly cut on the side. There are some signs that a clasp may have been used to lock the font cover.

about 1670

GALLERY built in the reign of Charles II. Access to it was originally by a set of wooden steps outside the church just to the west of the porch. Access is now by stairs up through the tower arch and the belfry.

1711

Five BELLS installed.

late 18th century

ROYAL ARMS of George III, hanging above the south door, painted between 1760 and 1801. It used to be compulsory to display the royal arms in all churches.

1819

EAST WINDOW constructed - probably replaces three early-English lancets.

19th century

CHOIR STALLS and ALTAR RAIL installed.

19th century

(continued)

Most of the WINDOW GLASS replaced.

WEST WINDOW glass made by Clayton and Bell.

CHANCEL WINDOWS glass, in memory of the Ricard family, depicts the apostles with their symbols :

south-west : St Mark and lion

south-east : St Matthew and angel

north-east : St John and eagle

north-west : St Luke and ox

late 19th century

LECTERN given by the Rev. E A Bevan, vicar 1875-1889.

1885

PEWS in the centre of the nave installed.

1890

Wooden REREDOS carved by Richard Morriss of Ditchingham, Norfolk. ( cost 40 )

about 1890

Chancel CORONA given by the Rev. E.A.Bevan

1895

LYCHGATE built by Charles Tice of Send from local oak. ( Cost 21 6s 6d. )

about 1900

PULPIT carved by Harry Hems of Exeter and given to the church by Mrs Lancaster.

1901

Wood block FLOOR laid.

about 1915

EAST WINDOW glass - memorial to Captain Onslow, killed in action in Flanders in 1914.

1948

Ring of 6 BELLS hung - recast from remains of 5 hung in 1711.

1963

Wooden ALTAR TABLE made by Lionel Tice.

1978

ROYAL ARMS restored by Send History Society

1989

New ORGAN installed.

1991

Internal and external repairs to the tower and tower roof. Louvres replaced.

1992

Slyfield monument re-sited.

Kneelers replacement project begun.

New heating system installed.

1993

New altar frontal, Dossal curtains, Burse & Veil, and Falls for the pulpit and lectern.

New lighting installed.

1996

Drainage trench installed around the church.

Interior decorated; carpeting laid.

2010
  • Lychgate restored

Bells | Church Room | Churchyard | Drawing | Flowers | InteriorRound About

Homepage | Our People | Our Faith